In 2007 Strategic Data undertook a Carbon Audit, engaging EcoVantage to consult to this project.
The EcoVantage assessment offered several strategies for reducing the company’s environmental impact. Strategic Data has successfully responded to many of these suggestions, introducing a number of reduction strategies and responses in the following areas:
- Reducing electricity usage through changes to office environment, lighting and heating systems
- Sourcing 100% green energy from Momentum Energy
- Facilitation of increased use of bicycles for staff travel to and from work, including installation of additional bike racks, and a shower available for staff to help facilitate bicycle travel
- Use of public transport for the majority of travel down within business hours
- Increased use of phone conferencing system allowing conferencing with multiple external attendees
- Reduction of paper use by:
- registering clients who are happy to receive electronic invoices
- changing the paper stock used for letterhead
- recycling paper and ‘other recyclables’ separately
- Recycling printer cartridges and donating old PCs, servers and computer monitors for recycling with Computer Bank and Green PC
Since the EcoVantage assessment, Strategic Data has made significant steps that have reduced the company’s greenhouse gas emissions.